Hilton has revealed 11 new hotel signings for Tempo by Hilton and Motto by Hilton, representing nearly 20% of the global hospitality company’s lifestyle pipeline.
The new properties will be located in the U.S., Latin America and Europe, with signings in New York City; Rotterdam, the Netherlands; Tulum, Mexico; Boston; Mexico City; and Seattle. With these newly signed properties, Hilton’s lifestyle category supply is expected to double within the next five years as well as expand to an additional 17 countries/territories over the next 10 years including the first lifestyle property in Africa.
“There are a number of owners that we are experiencing that have grown up within other brands within the Hilton family who are excited about this opportunity to get into this lifestyle space,” Phil Cordell, global category head, Hilton lifestyle brands, and global brand head, Canopy by Hilton, said during a press event announcing the signings. “For a long time, from the ownership perspective, getting into the lifestyle space was very expensive…The brands that we have talked about today are now approachable. Not only from a customer perspective, but they are approachable owner perspective because of the investment equation that allows an owner to get into this space in a more cost-effective way.”
While relatively new to the category, the company reported that it has amassed a strong development pipeline across its lifestyle brands with more than 55 properties already scheduled to open within the next 10 years.
Launched last year, Tempo is an approachable lifestyle hotel brand offering thoughtfully designed accommodations to help guests relax and recharge, according to the company. Each property will feature inspiring public spaces, facilities with product experiences from Peloton and Precor, a unit of Peloton, flexible meeting and working spaces, as well as premium culinary options, such as the brand’s signature coffee & tea fuel bar, a cafe-style breakfast offering and an inviting bar experience.
In addition to the previously announced groundbreaking in Louisville NuLu District, Tempo has recently signed the following properties:
- Tempo Boston Fenway—slated to open 2023. Located near Fenway Park, the 184-room hotel has an on-site restaurant, flexible meeting space and a fitness center of more than 1,120 sq. ft.
- Tempo New York City Manhattan Downtown World Trade Center Area—slated to open 2023. This 41-story hotel is home to nearly 300 rooms and is in New York City’s Financial District.
- Tempo Irving Las Colinas—slated to open 2024. Located in Las Colinas’ robust corporate and entertainment district, this 138-room hotel has more than 2,500 sq. ft. of meeting space and a large outdoor patio.
- Tempo Seattle Downtown—slated to open 2024. Located in downtown Seattle, this 23-story hotel will feature 300 guestrooms, a fitness center, a casual café, a bar and restaurant located on the second level and a rooftop lounge and bar.
- Tempo Milwaukee Downtown—slated to open 2024. The 155-room hotel offers unobstructed views of the city and Milwaukee River and features 4,600 sq. ft. of meeting space and an on-site restaurant and rooftop bar.
“Since Tempo launched a year ago, we’ve seen great momentum and an incredibly positive response from owners and future guests who are thrilled about this truly unique hotel concept,” said Kevin Morgan, global brand head, Tempo by Hilton. “We look forward to our upcoming openings so we can welcome ambitious, modern travelers to relax and recharge in a stylish, contemporary setting with thoughtful design and an uplifting atmosphere.”
Motto continues to expand its portfolio of curated micro-hotels in prime, urban destinations across the U.S. and internationally. Joining Motto Washington DC City Center, which opened in the summer of 2020, and Motto Philadelphia Rittenhouse Square, which opened in early May, the brand will open its third property in Chelsea, New York City, later this summer. After announcing seven property signings in 2019 including the first Motto in Latin America with Motto Lima Miraflores, Motto recently announced six property signings:
- Motto Rotterdam Blaak—slated to open 2022. Developed in a former bank building, this 109-room hotel will be the brand’s first property in Europe, and in close distance to popular tourist sites.
- Motto Tulum—slated to open 2022. This 116-room urban hotel is located in Tulum, surrounded by ancient ruins and pristine beaches, and features eco-friendly design elements, as well as authentic food and beverage offerings, retail shops and nightlife.
- Motto Bentonville Downtown—slated to open 2022. This 175-room hotel is located in downtown Bentonville, and features an indoor bike garage, coffee bar, restaurant and an outdoor bar patio and backyard.
- Motto Guadalajara Centro Historico—slated to 2023. The 145-room property is situated in a bohemian neighborhood bustling with activity that attracts both locals and travelers alike.
- Motto New York City Times Square—slated to open 2023. Located in the heart of Manhattan’s Times Square, this 400-room hotel will be inspired by combining 1920s New York City style and design with today’s modern lines and architectural elements.
- Motto México City Condesa-Roma—slated to open 2024. Located in the capital of Mexico, the 90-room hotel is located in the Condesa neighborhood full of wide, tree-lined streets, art nouveau mansions and art deco buildings. The hotel offers a Motto Commons, coffee bar, as well as an on-site restaurant serving traditional Mexican dishes.
“We are excited to announce Motto’s continued expansion and to provide guests with a fresh approach to travel,” said Tripp McLaughlin, global brand head, Motto by Hilton. “As people begin to feel comfortable traveling again, our new Motto properties will allow guests to connect with the neighborhood culture by providing authentic and locally-minded experiences in the most desirable urban destinations in the world.”
In addition, Canopy by Hilton, Hilton’s first lifestyle brand which launched in 2014, continues to expand its global footprint and has experienced tremendous growth and brand maturity since its inception, the company reports. Despite the challenging climate of 2020, Canopy doubled its brand portfolio with 14 property openings last year, touting a portfolio of 29 open hotels across the world as of Q1 2021. Canopy continues to expand its global presence with recent openings such as Canopy Hangzhou West Lake, Canopy Sao Paulo Jardins and Canopy San Antonio Riverwalk in addition to upcoming openings in Paris, Madrid, London and China, as well as Chicago and Portland, ME, all scheduled to open this year.
BY GREGG WALLIS